The Canadian Bureau for International Education (CBIE) is a national, bilingual, not-for-profit, membership organization dedicated to the promotion of Canada’s international relations through international education.
Over its history CBIE has played many roles:
- A forum for new ideas and innovative programs in internationalization, student services, emergency management, and marketing;
- A research centre delivering fresh knowledge and analysis, partnering with international organizations on cross-border projects, and developing training programs and ethical standards for our field;
- An advocate for investment in international mobility and in Canada’s education brand on the international stage;
- A vehicle for capacity-building across the globe, with a focus on governance and civil society development and on management of scholarship programs designed to build expertise and leadership for developing and transitional countries;
- A portal to Canadian education and training services for partners worldwide.
CBIE promotes the special interests of the international learner, both the foreign national studying in Canada and the Canadian studying abroad, through educational exchanges, scholarships, training awards and internships, technical assistance in education and other related services.
CBIE believes that international education is one of the best ways to create understanding among peoples and to develop enduring political, cultural and economic links among nations. CBIE is a unique organization in Canada. Among the major national organizations, only CBIE covers international education exclusively, spanning the spectrum of Canadian education, from K-12 to postgraduate, public and private sectors.
CBIE has been a leader in this field for over 40 years, making Canada’s mark in the world of international training and learning, and achieving hugely beneficial linkages for Canada and our partner countries.
CBIE’s achievements since 1966 are numerous and significant. They include ground-breaking research, promoting major improvements in the experience of international students, scholarship programs, extensive resources and information on study abroad, and exports of education services engaging hundreds of Canadian professionals.
CBIE is a catalyst for internationalization of the Canadian education sector. Working closely with a membership of over 150 education providers nationwide, and with a network of strategic partners throughout Canada and around the globe, CBIE is ideally positioned to promote global learning by mobilizing expertise, knowledge, opportunity and leadership.